Saturday, May 30, 2009
A simple life... /10:07 PM


Leaving Cambodia was a bittersweet moment. Where can you find such cheap and delicious food back here in Singapore? Where can you meet such friendly and simple people? Where can you lead a life without having to worry? I was deeply moved after observing the lives of Cambodian. Why do I say so? I'm amazed at how simple their life is yet they have no complaints, unlike typical Singaporeans where we complain at the slightest thing. We may be so much more educated but I believe they have taught us a lesson - simplicity is a beauty - which can never be taught in the classroom. Many people are selfish where they only care about themselves, we want everything in the world but they never ask themselves if they even deserve them. I think every Singaporean should go to countries such as Cambodia and engage themselves in voluntary work. Only then will they realise that they are possibly the most fortunate people in the world and not to take things for granted.

I must say I really enjoyed the 3 days spent at the village where we were drilling the well with the 'superb' machine. Despite all the breakdowns, no doubt it was an eye-opening experience. The village children were so hyperactive that they wore us out before they even got tired. Seeing themselves for the first time maybe, they were so eager to take photos with any of us and you just couldn't turn them down. The villagers were extremely helpful! I felt bad at times because even though it was supposed to be our work, but they were helping us with it. If it was in Singapore, you'll just be doing your work alone where most hardly offer their help. I was disappointed since we didn't exactly get to complete our well due to the unexpected delays. That day was just filled with new surprises with the highlight being stranded with our lorry that broke down. Being exhausted and sleepy, we just felt energised again since it was definitely not something you get to experience everyday. Reaching back to Hope Village Prey Veng, I was rather surprised to see the girls still waiting for us as it was already close to midnight but they decided to wait for us. If we are the backstage workers, they must be the crew working their asses off in front.

I must say the girls performed very well during the trip and it was a great experience working with them. I miss the times filled with laughter, sweat, joy, and also 'fear'. If I had the chance to go back, I will definitely go back and pick up from where I left. There's just so much to say but I believe these words can't fully express how I really felt. I want to thank everybody for making this trip possible and also completing successfully.

~Melvin Eng

0 comments


About the Team
SMU - Project Prey Veng 2009

Leader - Peter Ng
Co-Leader - Amanda Leong

Participants:
Aileen
√ Bing Hong
Chuen Long
Cynthia
Jason
Jia Qi
√ Kai Lee
Khang Wei
Larissa
Liane
√ Li Ting
√ Mei Xin
√ Melvin Eng
Melvin Teo
Mi Juan
Nomis
Samantha
Sherman
√ Shi Wen
Wan Yi
Yuann Shan

Embarked on a Cambodia trip from 6 May to 20 May 2009

Worked with Operation Hope Foundation

Supported by Youth Expedition Project (YEP)

Itinerary

Visited Hope Village at Prey Veng to :
Make and package soap
Teach childrens English and Art and craft
Paint the walls of the chapel
Have fun with them

Went to villages in rural areas to :
Dig well
Distribute soap